Theres a few variations when it comes to cooking a perfect steak. Here we show you how to cook a sirloin medium rare which comes out perfect every time.
1 x Sirloin Steak (Make sure to use grass fed, high welfare beef. We source ours from Swaledale Foods
who only work with traditional native breeds of cattle) See here to learn more about grass fed beef.
A good drizzle of quality olive oil
Sea Salt and black pepper
1) Preheat an oven to 200*C/180 Fan/Gas Mark 6
2) Make sure to keep your steak at room temperature at least 30 minutes before cooking. This is to make sure the steak is at an even temperature before cooking, to stop the outside becoming burnt and the inside staying cold.
3) Drizzle a healthy amount of olive oil all over your steak as well as a good couple of pinches of sea salt all over. Massage the oil and salt into the steak.
4) Heat a frying pan to a high heat, once hot add the steak flat side down into the pan and cook for 2 minutes each side (For extra flavour, add a knob of butter along with a bunch of thyme and 2 cloves of garlic to the pan and baste the steak)
5) Once both sides have been seared, place the pan (Make sure the handle is oven proof) into the oven and cook for 5-6 minutes for a medium-rare finish. (Depending on the size of the steak, we have used a large sirloin)
6) Take the steak out of the oven and leave to rest for a minimum of 10 minutes. (This is to let the meat fibres relax and for the juices time to redistribute)
7) Cut into slices and enjoy!
You could use a variety of different cuts of steak for this recipe, including Bavette which is a slightly less expensive option. See here
Best served with freshy made burrata, sourdough and anchovies and chimichurri sauce (Find the recipe here) or check out our DIY recipe boxes here and get all of the ingredients for a perfect steak night delivered to your door. Perfect for Fathers Day.
Having a cast iron pan is always useful when cooking steak but a normal pan will do the job.
Steak night, romantic dinner for two or for impressing your guests at a dinner party.
Dont have time to get the ingredients for your steak night and cant find native breed steak near you? Head to our Recipe Boxes page and get the ingredients delivered to your door with a recipe to make your steak night one to remember.
Find Out First
Seasonal feasting boxes, latest places to eat and drink plus other insider tips in our newsletter. Sign up here: